Welcome to your weekly Friday Tip brought to you by the experts at RVUSA. As your online guide to anything and everything RV, RVUSA’s staff is here to provide you with the knowledge and resources to make your RVing experience the best it can be. However, there are a few things we recommend you do before you head to an RV dealership to purchase a new unit for you or your family. Check out our 5 steps to take before buying an RV so you can make sure you get the most bang for your buck.
5 Steps to Finding Your Dream RV
- Locate a Dealer – In general, most people like to purchase an RV after seeing it in person. The RV dealership you choose to purchase from will have a huge impact on your overall buying experience. Every dealership is different, so it’s important to research dealers ahead of time to learn more about their sales staff, service and maintenance departments, and check their reviews from previous customers. For example, some dealers like to provide RV shoppers with a lot of assistance and guidance, while others may be more hands-off. Click here to find a dealer in your area, or, if you plan on traveling, locate a dealer by state.
- Research Units Online – Buying an RV should not be an impulse decision. In order to ensure you get the RV that’s right for your lifestyle, budget, family, and travel plans, it’s important to do plenty of research ahead of time. Some things you will want to search for ahead of time include RV specs, different types of RVs, top RV manufacturers, and some of the most popular models. You will also want to research the dealerships you are considering to compare prices so you walk into the dealership with knowledge of what you are willing to spend.
- Check Out Available RV Features & Options – Not all RVs are created equal, and they shouldn’t be. Every RVer is going to have different preferences and features that are important to them. Many RVs come with a variety of different floor plan options, color options, and interior and exterior features. RVs can also come with slideouts, air conditioners, entertainment spaces, fireplaces, the list goes on. Don’t get overwhelmed by making a split decision when you’re already at the dealership. Instead, make sure you check out the detail pages of any RV you are considering to see what features are most important to you. To see an example of a detail page from one of our Platinum Dealers, click here.
- Check for any Damage on Body or Interior – Now that you are at the RV dealership of your choice, there are still some factors to consider. When buying a new or used RV, you should never assume that the RV is in perfect condition. While most dealers do thorough inspections of all their units, accidents happen and some things may slip through the cracks. If you are seriously considering buying a unit, do a full walk through of the unit, inside and out. If you notice any damages or issues, make sure you point them out to the dealer. If the damages are minor, and you still want to purchase the unit, use that knowledge as leverage to ask for a discounted price.
- Ask about Sales, Financing Options and Present Dealer with YOUR Price – If you’ve done your research ahead of time (by following the steps you just read), you should head into any dealership with confidence. Know what you are willing to spend, and talk to the salespeople at the dealership to get a price that you think is fair for the unit you want. Most dealers also offer financing options, which many buyers find extremely helpful when purchasing a new RV. Remember, there are thousands of dealerships to choose from, so make sure you buy your RV from a dealer you can know and trust. Also, always ask about any special sales or discounts going on at the time.
Do you feel ready to buy your next RV? Begin your research process today so you can get started on a lifetime of camping adventures and roadtrips with your family and friends! If you’re still not sure what type of RV you’re looking for, visit RVUSA.com to find your dream RV. We hope these tips make your RV buying experience fun and easy. Stay tuned next week for more Friday Tips for new and experienced RVers. And, don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for more fun RV tips and tricks!